Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Final Farewell

My time in Saudi is over. I left three weeks ago and it seems like the last 18 months were a blurry, wild dream. Part of me is thrilled that I "survived", another part of me is sad and misses the people I left behind. I simply can't believe it's actually over.

The last two weeks in KSA were interesting. The first week I was diagnosed with pneumonia (not fun). This meant that during that week I didn't actually go to work for a full work day, and was unable to spend time with the people I would soon be leaving. Let me tell you, pneumonia is not fun. It's exhausting and suffocating (quite literally). For those of you who thought that it was an old people disease (and I count myself among these people), I can unequivocally state that this is untrue. What's more, I had no idea that it can evolve from a common cold so easily! Fortunately for me I have friends who forced me to go to the clinic to get tested (I am not a fan of the KAUST clinic, for reasons that should be quite obvious if you have read this blog). I was happily surprised that this time I actually saw a doctor who really knew what he was doing and was able to diagnose me quickly and prescribe the right medication the first time. Within two days of taking the anti-biotics, I could actually breathe. What a feeling.

The following week was a bit surreal. There was no one in my office because everyone was out for a conference. I spent the week getting signatures (leaving KAUST was almost as complicated as arriving to KAUST, and that is saying something). So many offices to visit, and signatures to get so that someone, somewhere would know to cancel my ID, email and login on the date of my departure.

My final weekend was filled with goodbyes. My friends had a farewell dinner for me with a camel cake. It was something else. I can't thank them enough. I also completed my Advanced PADI certification and went to the KAUST beach (for the last time :)).

When the day of my departure finally arrived it still didn't feel real. I had packed my house (with the help of the movers) and my luggage (with the help of my friends). All of my plates and pots (and even the iron) had been pillaged by another friend who had just moved to new place and needed "stuff". I looked around the apartment that had been my "home" for over a year, and knew that I no longer belonged there (not to say that I ever really did). My friends came over to help me wait for my taxi. We sat around the table, drank "juice" and laughed about the many misadventures we had all shared together. These are incredible people and I owe them my sanity. I know I would have made it in Saudi or at KAUST without them and I will never have the words to adequately thank them.

Finally at midnight, my taxi arrived. Everyone grabbed a bag (I have a lot of stuff) and we all headed downstairs. There were tears and smiles, but in the end I know my friends were both happy and sad to see me go. There were happy that I was "escaping" but sad in knowing that I would not be back to visit, I can't. As the car pulled away from the parking lot and we drove down the main drive to the gate, I was reminded of my first impressions of KAUST. The awe I felt. The nerves. But this time, I was not nervous or anxious. I was saying goodbye to a place I will never see again but that has changed me for good.

My final farewell to Saudi was 15 hours later, when my Saudi Air flight landed in JFK. As always happens on these flights, the abayas had come off and the head scarves had changed colors. I had also taken off my abaya. In fact, I left it on the plane. I didn't need it anymore.

This marks the end of "Salsa in Saudi." I will however be starting a new blog as soon as I arrive in Shanghai. The name is "Merengue in Mandarin" and the address is www.merengueinmandarin.blogspot.com New adventure, new stories to tell. Should be fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment