Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hace un año

Today marks one year since I started working at KAUST. It's hard to believe that it has been a year (only a year!) since I first arrived in Saudi. It's been a year since I arrived alone in my Penn sweatshirt and was "rescued" by a good Samaritan expat. One year since the abaya shopping creepiness. One year since meeting the people who have become my family in Saudi.

A year ago today I arrived to this campus for the first time. I was full of hopeful expectation and was completely taken aback by what I saw. A campus that was not quite finished but still stunning. People from all over the world who had come to work on this experiment. I arrived to a cubicle and started by opening mail. How far I've come?

There have been ups and downs this year. Moments of complete chaos and moments of sheer joy. I've traveled more than ever before and have faced myself in ways I'd never done before. I've learned that I am stronger than I give myself credit for and that I have amazing friends. I've also discovered that there is more to life than a job that pays well and am now looking for more balance in my life.

While this may not have been the experience I thought it would be it has still been an experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life and will probably influence everything I do from here on out. At a time when we think about New Years resolutions and what we want to do for next year I also think about what 2011 will bring and how to make the most of what is left of my time here. I will embrace what I can and learn to let go of what I can't.

I sit here in my office and listen to salsa and remember why I started this blog to begin with. I wanted to share this with those that I love. I wanted to feel connected to the people I left behind. I hope in some small way I have been able to do some of what I set out to do just one year ago and I hope you will continue to ride this crazy roller-coaster with me for as long (or short) as it turns out to be.

1 comment:

  1. Sigue toda tu vida bailando salsa ya que puedes.
    imaginate todas esas mujeres saudi que nunca lo pueden hacer, todas esa vuelta necesitan de un buen parejo o sera que lo haran en sus habitaciones privadas?
    En todo caso mejor como tu

    ReplyDelete