Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day and I have been thinking a lot of about my mom and all the mothers I know and would like to take this opportunity to thank them for everything they have done. In fact, I would like to extend my thanks to all the motherly figures that have influenced my life. From the friends who have acted like a mother when I needed a shoulder to cry on or a person to vent with. To the women who have shown me what it means to love your friends and loved ones unconditionally and support them in everything they do (regardless of how ridiculously stupid they might think that is). I want to congratulate all of my friends who have recently become mothers and to those that will soon be mothers, I know that your children are lucky to have you! Te doy las gracias a ti mamá por siempre estar de mi lado aunque estes lejos, no creo que sería capaz de seguir aquí sin tu apoyo.

There is certainly something unique about mothers and the comfort they bring. I have been having a rough time here lately and as a result really miss my mom (and dad and sister) and all the other comforting people in my life. Not to say that I don't have people here to care about me, but that bond or connection that I have built with many of you over countless conversations, months and years that I just don't have here (yet, I hope). It's also hard that I live in a country where giving (or being given) a hug could be offensive, and for me (which as you all know loves hugs) that's been particularly difficult. Just another thing to get used to and learn to adapt. There are other ways to show people you care and I guess I just have to learn to embrace those...

In the meantime, I guess you could say I'm homesick. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I also miss so many little things that I used take for granted, like driving or getting proper produce. I knew that life here would be hard, but I guess you never really know how hard until you're here. So on this Mother's Day I hope you all take some time to thank the mothers in your life who have helped you get to where you are and will be there to cheer you on when you get to where you're going.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment